The Food and Drug Administration is now investigating why hundreds of consumers have reported becoming ill after eating Lucky Charms cereal.
At least 139 consumers across the country reported they vomited and had diarrhea after eating a bowl of cereal that is marketed to children, according to iwaspoisoned.com, a platform that tracks foodborne illnesses.
General Mills said it does not believe its cereal is the cause of these illnesses, but it also said that it is conducting an “ongoing review.”
“Food safety is our top priority. We are aware of consumer claims submitted via the website and have conducted a thorough internal investigation,” General Mills spokesperson, Andrea Williamson, said in a statement. “Based on our food safety programs and review of consumer feedback we’ve received directly, we do not believe these complaints are attributed to our product. We encourage consumers to please share their feedback directly with General Mills to ensure it is captured in our ongoing review.”
This is not the first time, dry cereal has been linked to digestive issues. In 2018 Kellogg’s Honey Smacks cereal caused an outbreak of salmonella in which 135 people in 36 states were infected and 34 people were hospitalized, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Kellogg also voluntarily recalled 28 million boxes of Froot Loops, Apple Jacks, Corn Pops and Honey Smacks cereals in 2010 because of a foul odor and flavor from the liners of the packages. Kellogg said at the time that 20 people complained about the smell and five people reported nausea and vomiting.